Tuesday 24 November 2009

Thinking more than writing

That's what I've been doing lately, thinking more than writing. My 'normal' job gave up on me - it couldn't cope with my demands to sleep in the middle of the day and burst into tears intermittently. Pretty pathetic of it really. So, because I refuse to believe I'm not ill enough to sign on, I started doing some freelance writing work. Perfect! or so I thought...

The idea of working around my sleeplessness was a good one. I could work in the middle of the night if I was awake, and catch up on sleep during the day when the writing was done. Unfortunately it didn't really work like that. I still feel the need to conform to a 'regular' sleep pattern even though it's no longer necessary, and I don't want it to be necessary. I still go to bed at a semi-normal time but I lie awake, becoming stressed about the fact I could be doing something else. I usually fall asleep at around 2 or 3 am until about 6. Then during the morning I could sleep for Britain if I let myself. The problem is if I do let myself sleep more in the morning I become angry with myself and I'm not motivated to work when I get up at around midday. If I don't let myself sleep in the morning, I suffer with brain fog for several hours and I don't do any work. Basically the mornings are OUT when it comes to writing.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I want to work 6 or 7 good work hours most days, but whichever tactic I use, it doesn't seem to work. Maybe I just need to be more patient and this is all part of my depression working itself out. The writing work is good for that; it gives me something to focus on, but I still spend more time thinking and staring at the screen than I do actually writing.

A few people have asked me where I get my writing work from, most of it is from www.elance.com If you want to try them out, please use the badge below as they have a referral scheme, and every little helps!



1 comment:

  1. A lot of people struggle to be productive in the mornings - myself included. Don't force it - accept that mornings are out and give yourself a break.

    When you work from home (like I do) it can be difficult to find motivation and get into a routine. Have you tried writing a list of things to do for the following day? Sometimes when you do that you can then push all those things out of your mind.

    You're only human - just pace yourself, don't put too much pressure on yourself and try not to worry about 'conforming' to the timetable society likes to thrust upon us! That's my philosophy, anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter